When you visit nurseries, one is in awe of all the beautiful perennial, annuals, shrubs, trees, etc that you can purchase to add to your existing garden. At the same time, it can become quite expensive too.
Whether you are adding to your existing garden or just beginning to design your garden, I would like to share some of my experiences with you.
- buy plants at a nursery towards the end of the season when they are selling them at significantly reduced prices
- if you want to use rocks, sometimes people have rocks in their gardens that they no longer want and are more than happy to have someone take them off their hand--ask around
- ask friends/family for small clippings from their garden
- many times when people have garage sales, they also sell samples from their garden for pennies
- start perennials from seeds
The deers that I have in the background, were like the icing on the cake, that I found at a garage sale, and knew where their new home would be. They certainly blend in with the deer that visit us--the deer must think we are trying too hard :)