- Purchasing from a street/beach vendor does not guarantee that you are going to get a "bargain" in some cases people have paid much more from these vendors than if they would have purchased it from a reputable store. Also, there is no guarantee that the item is genuine. Sterling silver can be stamped 925, but could be metal. Also, the gemstone could be a simulated stone.
- Do purchase your jewelry from a reputable store that has a return policy for merchandise that can be returned in a reasonable amount of time for a full refund, not a store credit if you are not satisfied with it.
- Be aware of "deals". If the price is too good, be cautious.
- When entering a jewelry shop make sure that no one follows you in or follows you out.
- Never shop alone.
- When making a purchase, especially an expensive piece, don't put it on to wear out of the store. You do not need to draw attention to yourself.
- Be a good negotiator. Try to get the best bang for your buck. Even the finest jewelry shop will have some flexibility in price.
There are so many tourists that travel to destinations that are known for their beautiful beaches and 5 star hotels, but the citizens are dirt poor. You need to be very careful when shopping to insure your safety.